Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Preschool Storytime: Things that Go


This week, I decided to do a "Things that Go" storytime all because I wanted to do Miss Sarah's version of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat".  I borrowed a couple of her other ideas too this week.  

1. Hello Song: Glad to See You by Peter and Ellen Allard

2. Letter of the Day presentation: G for Go!
3. Read Book: I’m Dirty by Kate and Jim McMullan


4. Action Rhyme: “The Airplane” from Storytime Katie
The airplane has great big wins (arms outstretched)
Its propeller spins around and sings (spin one arm)
The airplane goes up (lift arms)
The airplane does down (lower arms)
The airplane flies high (arms outstretched, spin)
Over the town! (fly around)

I pretty much did the same thing she did with her inspiration from Brown Bear, Brown Bear what do you see except that I ended with green car.  I even borrowed some of her templates.  The green car is from Microsoft Word:
I printed the pictures, laminated them and then put the male-ended part of velcro on the back.  This is the first time I've used velcro (a suggestion of my mom's) and it worked really well on the felt board.  I've yet to purchase magnets for the other side of the board when I don't want to do felt, but I did have velcro at home, so this was a great alternative.    

6. Sing an action song: Row, Row, Row Your Boat from Miss Sarah’s Storytime

Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the stream.
If you see an alligator,
Don't forget to scream!

I pretty much did this exactly as Sarah did.  I did about 4 or 5 animal puppets, screaming when I brought them out and then pulled out the alligator and didn't scream.  Fun stuff!

7. Read Book: Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems


10. Goodbye Song 


How it went:

Both of the books went really well.  I also set out a bunch of "transportation" books and one of the kids pointed to Freight Train by Donald Crews and I ended up reading it after Pigeon.  I'd never actually read it and think it would be a good addition to a different storytime.

The kids loved screaming to Row, row, row your boat. Sadly, this scared one of the younger girls who came (she's 2 or 3) and she started to cry after about 3 puppets.  This was the first time I've had a kid cry during storytime and this disturbed me, but I didn't want to end the other kids fun, so I cut straight to the alligator.  I'm still not sure if this is the correct thing to do.  I'm sure others have had kids cry during storytime.  What do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment