Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Preschool Storytime: Colors

This week, I did a colors storytime.  It has become my habit to ask the kids what they think the theme is before we start.  It came as no surprise that they had difficulty with this theme.

Here's what I had planned:



1. Hello Song: Glad to See You by Peter and Ellen Allard
2. Pictures and Letter of the Day: C for Colors!
3. Read Book: My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss

4. Feltboard/Song:  Rainbow Stew from Storytime ABC:

Take an apple
Put it in the pot
Stir it, stir it, stir it a lot.
Take it out. What will it be?
The pret­ti­est red you ever did see.
Orange/orange
Banana/yellow
Pear/green
Blueberry/blue
Grapes/purple

I made a feltboard for this, but forgot to take a picture.

5. Read Book: Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes by Eric Litwin

6. Song with "colored" egg shakers: I Know a Chicken by Laurie Berkner
7. Read Book with Feltboard: Dog’s Colorful Day by Emma Dodd
For the feltboard, I used makinglearningfun.com's template.  It turned out really cute:

8. Song: If You’re Wearing [Color] (tune, If You’re Happy and You Know It from NIH: Kids Pages)

If you are wearing red, shake your head
If you are wearing red, shake your head
If you are wearing red
Then please shake your head
If you are wearing red, shake your head
If you are wearing pink, give a wink
If you are wearing blue, touch your shoe
If you are wearing green, bow to the queen
If you are wearing yellow, shake like Jell-O
If you are wearing black, pat your back
If you are wearing brown, turn around
If you are wearing white, show your might.

9. Goodbye Song

How it went:

It was a really snowy day that day (in fact we closed the library a few hours later) and I didn't expect a lot of people.  I got pretty good numbers all considered.  

I had seen both My Many Colored Days and the Rainbow Stew song in a storytime before and it didn't go so well.  I can't say that it went any better during my storytime either.  Since I went through so much effort to make the rainbow stew, I'll try it again in a different storytime (probably the "soup" one I have planned for SRP this year).  

I had the kids put on the dots for Dog's Colorful Day while I read it.  It worked okay considering I had fewer than normal numbers.  Pete the Cat was by far the most popular story.  The kids loved it.  

I had fun with the shakers, but the kids weren't really all that into it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment